The Department of Translational Research in the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP), Pomona, CA provides a supportive environment to the faculty and research investigators/collaborators at WesternU with facilities and scientific interactions distinguished by the accomplishments in research, scholarship, creativity, and entrepreneurship, and the mentoring of health science students, graduate students, and other trainees. The goal is to develop strategic translational research initiatives, develop and submit interdisciplinary grant proposals, and provide research and mentoring training to medical students and other health science students.
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated laboratory-based Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist to join our Translational Research Team. Reporting to the Director of the Department of Translational Research in COMP, the Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist will have a deep understanding immunobiology and epigenetics of inflammatory diseases in cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and arthritis. The candidate on this position will design and perform experiments on the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms of the diseases. The candidate will be responsible for providing scientific and technical expertise to develop biomarkers and mechanism of action studies to further the knowledge in the area of research and advance the studies for clinical research studies. Successful applicants will enjoy working collaboratively and proactively in a muti-disciplinary research environment at WesternU, demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, and have a strong desire to build upon their expertise in the immunobiology and epigenetics of inflammatory diseases in cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and arthritis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.1. Experience with all aspects of management of clinical trials from inception to completion2. Thorough understanding of Good Clinical Practices, clinical trials monitoring, regulatory compliance and statistical reporting.3. Able to communicate in a professional manner with others, in person, in writing and utilizing a telephone.4. Must possess strong organizational, and administrative abilities and be able to act effectively as a leader and member of a team.5. Able to handle detail-oriented assignments and maintain confidentiality.
1. PhD degree in Biomedical Science, Cell Biology, molecular biology, Clinical & Translational Science, Pharmacology, Physiology, or related discipline in Health Sciences is required2. 1-4 years’ postdoctoral training in translational science3. Thorough knowledge of cell signaling pathways, pathophysiology, and immunology of diseases4. Expertise in experimental design and execution of the experiments involved in cell and molecular biology, epigenetics, and immunology5. Knowledge on laboratory safety, research integrity and compliance, conflict of interest, and governmental regulations preferred
6. Provide accurate, timely responses to requested reports on the research findings and ongoing implementation of strategies to ensure compliance with rules and regulations7. Ability to effectively interact and communicate with faculty, researchers, staff, and students who are involved in research projects.
1. Evidence of published as the primary author in peer-reviewed pub-med indexed journals
2. Experience using genetic knockdown techniques (i.e., CRISPR, shRNA, siRNA) and Flow Cytometry is a plus.
3. Self-motivated and demonstrates the ability to work independently and collaboratively
4. Demonstrates independent critical and creative thinking, and a strong desire to learn surgical techniques in experimental animals, new concepts and methods
5. Possess strong interpersonal skills and effective written and oral communication with cross functional teams
6. Ability to multi-task and adapt to shifting priorities and timelines, while maintaining high attention to detail.
List comments regarding work hours:
This is an exempt job position.The job requires 40 hours per week. This may also include the hours in the late evening and weekends.